Right where we left off! All of this is untouched from it’s original entry in my journal, so some things will be a little messy, and some a little emotional. I hope you enjoy!

Work day 1: I worked my first day today. 11 hours – 7am till 6pm. It was mostly enjoyable. I was on the roller and it was just like old times without the shit overbearing boss and this time I had a far better knowledge of what I was doing. It took me an hour or two to get into any kind of rhythm but once I found it the day flew by.  I can only hope that the job remains the same while we’re in town and then Id be happy to expand and try learn the water truck with my dad. Until then I’d rather stay on the roller where I am comfortable.

Work Day 2: It was pretty enjoyable for the most part. Although It was scary having to load the float for the first time in my life. When I was unloading the roller the truck and trailer were parked on a slant in the ditch which meant that I had to favour the opposite side or the whole thing would tip…not a great way to go about your first ever float loading, but I am still alive!

A few days later…..

Today is the 18th of October and I crashed the truck today. Little 3 tonne Mazda truck tray thing. Never driven one before but it wasn’t particularly hard to drive. Same gears as a Toyota the typical double H gear box. So I was driving out to the power station with the equipment for the day (overloaded by about 4 tonne) and I found it surprisingly easy to drive and was quite pleased with myself. The steering was wobbly and the gears were a little bit deeper than a regular manual but overall it was drivable

As I rounded the straight heading towards the power station I was doing around 60kms an hour and I could see the Water truck up ahead on the side of the road. So I was coming along and I noticed the water truck was moving into the middle of the road. I hit the brakes but nothing happened, I had them flat to the floor trying to stop the truck but nothing was happening and I started to panic. I tried to change gears and slow it down that way but it was too late and I had to either drive into the back of the water truck or around it down the side and the gutter. I was still doing around 50 km at this stage I imagine and it was unstoppable at this point. I remember realising I was going to crash as I pumped the brakes in a last attempt to get it to slow down just a little so it wouldn’t be that big a deal. It was unsuccessful as I drove into the heaped mounds of gravel on the sides of the road and crashed it. The truck slammed into every rock it could find and tipped over, skidding on it’s side the final few metres. When it tipped everything in the truck fell on me. I was not wearing the seatbelt (as no one does around here) and how I sustained no injuries is seriously a mystery to me. I panicked inside the turned vehicle as my foot was still stuck in the pedals but I managed to dislodge it and that is when Mick found me and checked I was conscious. I climbed up out of the truck and began feeling the effects of shock on my body. Mick jumped in and turned it off once we realised it wasn’t going to explode or anything.

By now I was in full shock and was staring off into space. I sat by the side of the road as the rest of the crew started arriving, and it wasn’t until my father wouldn’t answer his phone and eventually arrived in the grader that the tears started flowing. It’s hard to explain how I felt, but it was a mixture of shame and gratitude. It is all so disappointing as we were only a few days away from moving onto our next job. I will probably lose my job now. I don’t see why I wouldn’t, I’ve wrecked one of their vehicles and I really don’t bring much to the table asset wise. We’ll see I guess. No injuries were sustained although as I type my neck starts to stiffen. I want to sleep but just making sure I don’t have a concussion first. It’s only really just dawned on me that I may be coming back to Brisbane tomorrow, how embarrassing. 10830857_1776182899273394_89917906251565446_o